Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Soo Line Coach

Okay, this is what a few months of late night builds and Aerosmith was able to create.

Another one of my favorite railroads is the Soo Line.  While going through some old broken passenger cars looking for a part, I found another badly abused Walthers short coach kit.  It had been built many years ago by another modeler and I came across it and several other short Walthers passenger cars in a box.  All total there were 25 passenger cars in the box. Since that purchase, many I have built and sold and some I have kept building them for the C&NW portion of my layout.  C&NW had several of these short passenger cars having them built by ACF in Jeffersonville, Indiana at there large plant there in 1910 through 1912.  I did a little research and found out that the Soo Line owned some of these short ACF coaches purchased in the early 1900's.  After my research I found the numbers and the paint scheme for these cars.  I decided then that a Soo Line car was a great idea and here is the final product.  I stripped the car back to the bare metal and wood, replacing some of the broken parts with new.  There was no interior detail other than the seats, which also had to be stripped of old paint and then repainted.  I added the lavatory and the furnace unit along with a tile floor and baggage racks in the roof portion.  Most of the detail parts came from Selley Custom Finishes, Plastruct, Walthers, Cal-Scale, and Keil Line.  The passengers are Woodland Scenic with some from Bachmann.  I found some brake system blueprints from ACF that I used for the brake system under this car along with photographs of these cars that have been preserved.  This gave me enough information to complete the underframe detail that is pictured here. It took the better part of 4 months to build this car and detail the underframe and the interior, but when done it turned out rather nice.  Hope you like it too




No comments:

Post a Comment