Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

More tales from the Workbench

Happy Halloween Everyone!

Well I have been working almost non-stop on all of my freight cars and models for the last few months. In fact I have been working on them so much that I am actually starting to get a tan from the Fluorescent Lights over my workbench. Well here are some of the more recent models I have built under those lights to the sound of Buffalo Springfield and Kansas.


This Monon boxcar is another one of my favorite projects. I found this boxcar during a local train show and again it was another badly abused Athearn boxcar that underwent the "Thayer" treatment! Again I stripped it down to the bare metal and cleaned up the car.  I then added the missing detail parts that were needed to make the car a model of one of the early Monon rebuilds from 1960.  I found a nice photograph on George Elwood's Fallen Flags website showing an Erie AS-616 switching and behind the locomotive was this same boxcar.  The car has Plastruct pieces, Selley Custom Finishes, Cal-Scale parts, and is painted with Scalecoat paint.  Finally I decaled it with Microscale Decals.  When I was a teenager, my family moved from Wisconsin to Kentucky and for a time we lived in Southern Indiana along the Monon mainline in Campbellsburg, Indiana.  Since I model the years 1959-1960, I felt this would be a great car for my layout.



This is a Fort Dodge, Des Moines, and Southern rebuild boxcar that I made a few years ago.  It is a combination of train parts I had in my shop, so I decided to build the car using photographs of similar cars.  I used various parts from Plastruct, Cal-Scale, Keil-Line, Athearn, All-Nation, and Walthers trucks and ends.  The decals are Champion Decals and the paint is Floquil Oxide Red.  This car will be operated on my Hi-Rail layout.

Well that's about it, most of these cars take a few weeks to make so I will post more as more and more cars are built. Well I better back to building, along deciding what car I should build next I need to decide what I should listen to on my record player. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment