Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 25, 2016

Pennsy's Freight Cars

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone

Enjoy this latest helping of freight cars that I recently built.

Here are two recent boxcar projects I completed.  Both are Pennsylvania X43b PS-1 boxcars.  I realized I had only two Pennsylvania freight cars on my layout.  Since I am modeling the Northern Wisconsin area and Upper Peninsula of Michigan I realized there were a number of Pennsylvania freight cars that came across the Straits of Mackinaw on the ferries to the UP (Upper Peninsula). 
First we have a model of a 1960 rebuild  of an X43b with the shadow keystone emblem and the larger Pennsylvania lettering.  This was a Reynolds boxcar kit that had the wrong lettering and markings for another Pennsylvania car.  I stripped the car and repainted it with this scheme  along with adding additional details such as cut levers, air hoses, and brake system details.  I used Selley Custom Finishes, Cal-Scale, Plastruct, and Keil-Line parts to achieve the details desired. 
The second car in a Pennsylvania X43b in the as delivered paint scheme.  These cars were first introduced to the PRR in 1950 through mid-1951.  This was another rescued Athearn boxcar found at a local train show for a couple of bucks.  Again it received the "Thayer" treatment of stripping to the bare metal and restoring the paint job.  I used Scalecoat paint and Champion Decals for the detailing and lettering.  The other details on the car were added using Selley Custom Finishes, Cal-Scale, Plastruct, and Keil--Line parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment