Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

More Cars and Engines then Beech Grove

Once again I have completed a few more projects that I have been working on. So allow a few moments to tell you about them and about some upcoming projects.

The Reimer Packing Company refrigerator car is a scratchbuilt car based on the early URTX wooden refrigerator cars some of which were still in operation well into the 1960's.  The Reimer Packing Company was based in Green Bay, Wisconsin and had a couple of old reefers used at the packing plant.  Not  if they were yellow or badly faded orange, but this model is taken from those old  cars.  The Milwaukee Road served the packing plant South of Green Bay along the Fox River.   I used sections of scribed wood for the sides and Northeastern wood roof with Selley Custom Finishes parts for the ice hatches, brake details, doors, and sills.  Cal-Scale parts were used for the air hoses.  It rides on Auel Andrews trucks which have been reconditioned.  This car will be part of the Proto Hi-Rail layout I am building.

The #275 Milwaukee Road GP-9 is a Red Caboose kit I purchased several years ago.  I finally took the time to assemble it and detail it for the Milwaukee Road's first group of freight GP-9's.  Since I model the time period 1959 and 1960, I numbered it for the 1959 renumbering.  I also added detail to the engine that was missing from the original kit such as the number boards on the sides and the correct horn.  I added 1/16 inch plastruct strips to the bottom of the cab assembly to give it the correct height for a GP-9.  I also added Cal-Scale air hoses and replaced some of the weak plastic details with brass details to prevent their being damaged or broken.  In addition I added brass window shades to the side windows to better resemble the canvas shades used on the Milwaukee's GP-9's.

In upcoming editions of this blog I will show you some 2 Rail ore Cars that I have been working on, some for DM&IR and Soo Line, if only I can get my son to weather them for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment