Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 18, 2018

More roaming in the attic

Here is an outside braced wood automobile boxcar from the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad.  This is a model of one of these cars that was upgraded during the 1930's during the Mathew Sloan administration.  I was painted in the bright yellow that several older and newer freight cars were painted as part of Mr. Sloan's attempt to bring the MKT into a modern operation.  This car started as a Walthers kit that was in a box of O scale freight cars someone had given me years ago.  I decided to finally do something with it.  I had lived in Joplin, Missouri for several years and had seen some of the MKT there.  I also had a package of black MKT decal, so I had an idea.  I added a complete brake system to the car along with Kadee couplers, air hoses, and cut levers on the ends.  The brake system was made with Selley Custom Finishes, Keil-Line, parts as well as K&S brass wire.  The car was built to operate on my 2-rail layout.  Hope you like it!





Here we have a model of a B&O M-26 boxcar.  This car was the B&O answer to the Pennsy X-29 boxcars that appeared throughout the Eastern US.  B&O saw the success of the X-29 and quickly began their fleet to cover the demands of their customers for strong steel boxcars for fragile shipments.  This car is scratchbuilt using several Walthers, Keil-Line, Selley Custom Finishes, and Cal-Scale detail parts.  The car was made of Northeastern Wood floor and roof along with wood siding underlays with cardstock sides embossed with riveting.  The trucks are Walthers die-cast trucks and has Kadee couplers.  There is a complete brake system along with air hoses and cut levers.  The decals are a combination of Walthers and Microscale.  This car will also operate on my 2-rail layout.  I have mentioned earlier that I am a fan of the B&O, but model the Upper Peninsula of Michigan from my youth.  B&O freight cars were found there often coming north on NYC or PRR trains to Mackinaw City and over on the train ferry to St. Ignace.  Hope you like this car as well.  I had a lot of fun building this one too.





No comments:

Post a Comment